No broth? No problem at all! I cooked this delicious totally gluten-free barley soup with meatballs using plain filtered water.
Noone will ever notice the difference. Barley with potatoes adds thickness to the soup while the meatballs and bay leaves create a really nice flavor.
Cooked it today and my kids ate it with big pleasure.
It takes about 1 hour to make. Here are the ingredients you will need:
Here is the recipe:
- 1 cup (235 ml) pearl barley, rinsed, soaked and drained
- 2.2 L filtered water
- 200-250 grams (1/2 lb) ground beef
- 1/2 Tbsp salt
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 small (or 3 medium) potatoes
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste (substitute with 3 Tbsp tomato sauce for pasta)
- In a medium-sized pot, bring water to a boil.
- Add salt to water.
- Add soaked and drained barley and bay leaves. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Using a grater with the smallest holes, grate half of the onion. Mix the pulp and juice of the grated onion with the ground beef in a bowl. Add a pinch of salt, mix well, and form the meatballs.
- Add the meatballs to the soup pot.
- In the meantime, heat a frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add olive oil and fry the remaining half an onion (minced) until golden (for about a minute)
- Stir in 1 cup (unpacked) julienned carrots and fry for another minute.
- Add tomato paste and stir well while frying (one more minute).
- Transfer everything from the frying pan to the soup pot.
- Let it simmer for 20 minutes.
- Finally, add cubed potatoes to the soup, bring it to a boil again and cook over low-medium heat for 10-15 minutes until potatoes are cooked through.