I saw many recipes of zucchini fritters in Instagram but I never cooked them. I’ve been a loyal fan of potato fritters since my kids like them and it has never been a total waste of time. One day I run out of potatoes. And sure enough there was a nice and shiny zucchini sitting in the fridge (kinda staring at me for a few days :)).
So, I decided to give it a try, replicating some parts of my potato fritters recipe. Here is what I got:
I was really surprised when I saw children eating them. They never touched zucchini before so I was amazed the fritters were going fast. Later, when all patties were gone, I asked my preschooler whether he like this stuff. He said “of course I like fried potatoes with green onions”. He saw me chopping the green onions and it didn’t occur to him that zucchini had anything to do with the fritters.
I will certainly make more this week.
Here’s how I cooked them:
- 1 medium zucchini, finely grated
- 9 green onions (replace by 2 Tbsp finely chopped onion)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- tiny pinch of black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp corn starch
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 Tbsp cooking oil (grapeseed preferred)
- Start by grating zucchini.
- When finished, place all grated zucchini in a bowl for 10-15 minutes.
- After 15 mins, using clean hands, squeeze out as much liquid as possible and discard the juices.
- Add onions, salt, pepper, an egg, corn starch and flour to the bowl with grated zucchini.
- Mix the batter well.
- In a skillet heat the oil.
- Drop a spoonful of batter onto hot skillet and immediately flatten the fritter shaping a ‘pancake’ with the spoon.
- Cook 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Serve immediately with sour cream or just as is.