Do you have overripe bananas that nobody wants to eat? Instead of tossing them into trash, spend a little bit of time and bake these beautiful homemade muffins. Naturally sweetened with applesauce, they do not require too much sugar – only half a cup. Remember, overripe bananas are perfect for making these moist muffins.
Here is the recipe for 12 muffins:
- 2 cups gluten-free flour (regular is ok too)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 egg
- 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C). Fill muffin pan with cup liners.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Gently stir these dry ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, combine bananas, apple sauce, egg, sugar and oil.
- Add this liquid mixture into the flour mixture and keep stirring until the mixture is uniform.
- Divide batter evenly among 12 muffin cups.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 additional minutes before serving.
These muffins are perfect for school bake. Kids won’t even notice that this recipe has low sugar.
The recipe works well for both gluten-free flour or the regular one. Chose what works for you depends on your own or family needs.